Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I am leasing 10 acres, I at my own expense bulit an expensive

Customer Question

I am leasing 10 acres, I at my own expense bulit an expensive barn on the property. I have been there for 3 years with a sign on the road with my business name & number. Last week the owners (who have lived next door) are moving back into the house located on the 10 acres with my barn. They told me they wanted to refinance the 10 acres/house and I would need to take my sign down so the appraiser wouldn't notify the bank that there was a boarding/ training business at the place, but even without the sign it was quite obvious!!! In my lease it states my name on the lease, but I do business as a DBA. Now they are telling me after 3 years (I have a 10 year lease) that I can't put my sign back up because that makes the residential home/land a commercial operation and they leased it to me, not my business. I am almost getting the impression they want to get me out... Can they do that?
Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.The terms of your lease set out your rights here.It should cov er your ability to put up signage.Certainly it is reasonable for them to allow such a sign.I understand that you have money in here and I agree they are beginning to try and run you off.You may need a lawyer to protect your rights and stop them from railroading you in this matter.And it works both ways here you can always blackmail them with turning them in for the false information they have provided lender if they try to run you off.You do have a lease here and you have rights to property use under it.