Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law

My daughter is 19. She started working at a small(10 tables)

My daughter is 19. She started working at a small(10 tables) local restaraunt. A few weeks ago two men came in, sat down. She said one was older, the other looked to be in his 20's. They ordered a glass of wine each. When she brought the wine to the table, the older man showed her a badge and said that she just served alcohol to a minor.

She was given a ticket and a court date for July 12th.

While I realize that she should have asked for an ID, it was not her intent to give alcohol to a minor. She had only been waitressing for about 4 weeks when this happened.

What should she do? Is this a criminal charge? The court date is July 12th.

Thank you,

I'm a criminal defense attorney and I believe I can provide assistance here. However, as you've asked "what should she do", it would be helpful to know if she has any criminal history.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has no criminal history. She has only had 2 traffic tickets, that were NOT alcohol related.

Thank you for the additional information. Let me check into a couple things and I'll be back with you shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks for your patience.

Yes, this is a criminal charge in Colorado. However, it is only a misdemeanor, meaning it is a relatively insignificant charge. As your daughter is young and has no criminal history, it is likely that the prosecuting attorney will be lenient with her. While it is impossible to predict an exact outcome, it would seem reasonable to expect a small fine, perhaps a couple hundred dollars, and some minor penalties, such as some community service hours.

It's never a bad idea to hire a criminal defense attorney. However, as I suggested, the penalties here are likely to be fairly light. You might want to go to her initial court appearance and speak with the prosecutor. If he makes an offer that seems reasonable, discuss accepting that offer with your daughter. Conversely, if you are not satisfied with the offer, simply continue the case and check into hiring an attorney to assist.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.