Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

October 1979, My husband died and he left a Will stating I

October 1979, My husband died and he left a Will stating'"I give, devise, and bequeath all of my estate and property, real, personal, or mixed, whatsoever or wheresoever situated, of which I may die seized or possessed or to which I may be entitled at the time of my death, to my Wife. The sisters and brothers sold some property belonging to the father. There were eight children, one deceased leaving seven childred and the wife of the oldest deceased son.
I recorded the Will in that county Court in March, 2010 when I was informed they were going to sell the property. I see on the Owner's Affidavit and Agreement I was listed as receiving my husband's share. I was sent the Settlement Statement - Total go to Seller $69,361.31.
I received the 1099-B and the Percentage of my Ownership 4.17 Gross monies to me would be $2,919.00. (The Percentage of Ownership to a brother 12.50 Gross monies to him $8,750.00. I do not why this was in my package). Why is my share much less?
If I remarried, would it make a difference? (Inez)
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
If this was reported on a 1099 b it would most likely be from a sale of stock. Since you would not normally have a claim on your father in law's estate, I can only presume that you are the successor in interest to your husband's share in the property. As an interested party, you are entitled to an accounting. Contact whoever sent you the Settlement Statement and 1099B and they should be able to answer all your questions regarding the transaction. If you are the successor in interest under your husband's will it should not make a difference if you remarried.

Edited by LawGuy on 7/1/2010 at 3:20 AM EST