Linda Roch
Linda Roch, Attorney
Experience:  In-house, Bankruptcy attorney, Real Estate Attorney

How can I be 100% sure that Im not being scammed when purchasing

How can I be 100% sure that I'm not being scammed when purchasing a vehicle?
Expert:  Linda Roch replied 4 years ago.
First, you want to make sure that you take the vehicle to a mechanic or have your mechanic come to the location. This is the main issue. Next, you want to make sure that you see a Title and have it signed over to you. If you're buying a vehicle online, you really want to not to exchange any money until you are in person and the vehicle and Title is in your possession.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the initial info. Please allow me to give some additional details. I found a guy in my local classifieds selling 4 damaged RV Park Trailers. They were damaged in the Nashville flood a couple months back at the Nashville KOA campground. They're essential KOA Cabins on wheels (if you've ever seen one). The guy sent me a "Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle" with "Nashville KOA" listed as the distributor/dealer. He wanted me to give me a cashier's check to take to the KOA campground but I suggested we meet there instead and I deal with the KOA campground themselves. A google search on the guy shows he's had some dishonest dealings but this is a good price and I'd like to own these. How can I be 100% sure that when I walk away tomorrow that I'm completely good and have not just been scammed $20,000+ ?
I would have him hand over Titles before you hand over a cashier's check. Also, check out whether these have to be moved or whether the space they are not needs to be paid for. I would say from my experience if there are negative comments, then you should really heed warning but if this is one isolated incident, I would meet up with him, make sure all the documents are there and that the lot doesn't need to be leased and then see what your gut tells you from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if I can get all 4 Titles and all the serial numbers match, I'm good? What about a Bill of Sale?
In Tennessee, you will also need a Bill of Sale. My advice would also be to have the seller sign a contract with you for the sale, just as a secondary document showing that the seller had the intent to sell the vehicles in case something happens and the Titles are doctored or the Bill of Sale is somehow invalidated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. Can you point me to a sample contract and Bill of Sale? Then I promise I'll stop asking questions and pay up ; )
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about the "contract with you for the sale, just as a secondary document" ?

This can be just written on a word document. Something like this:

I, (buyer), purchase the following vehicles from (seller) for consideration of (purchase price) paid via (check, cash, etc.):

1.

2.

3.

4.

The (seller) agrees to transfer full title and ownership of the above vehicles to (buyer).

Buyer _________

Seller ____________

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more thing, do these need to be notarized? And how much bonus do you want ; )

They do not have to be notarized but you can definitely get it notarized if you go to the notary with the seller. This will prove that the signature is that of the seller if he disputes it in the future, especially if you're worried that this will be a scam.

Good luck!

Edited by Linda Roch on 7/1/2010 at 3:13 AM EST
Linda Roch, Attorney
Experience: In-house, Bankruptcy attorney, Real Estate Attorney