Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I purchased my home 2 years ago, and recently learned that

Customer Question

I purchased my home 2 years ago, and recently learned that the drain field for my septic system is half on my property and the other half is on my neighbors property. Legally, can something be done to work in my favor?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. what do you want to accomplish?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I hoping that I will not have to redo my drain field. Is it possible to receive compensation from the realtor/bank even though I bought my home AS-IS, or is it possible to take ownership of the land since the drain field is located on unoccupied, unkept property. My main goal is to find a way to either keep my current drain field the way it is, or receiving compensation to build a new one or make adjustments to the old structure so that it will be situated completly on my property.
I am going to refer you to a colleague on this point.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 6 years ago.
Your stuck when you buy the property "as is". However, do you know when the drain field was installed? Who, if anyone, is giving you a hard time about the matter?

No, you can't claim adverse possession - a drain field does not amount to the requisite possession necessary for such.