Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor
Experience:  College Instructor
19568076

Gentlemen My question is in regards to my mothers Living

Gentlemen: My question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX mother's Living Will. My mother has Alzheimer's Disease and is in the last stages. My husband and I moved our life from Ballston Spa to Saratoga Springs to care for her in the early stages of the disease. We cared for her for two years and then she entered the nursing home, where she still is a patient. There were promises made when we moved here that appear to have been forgotten and now it seems we are the sole support of mom in the nursing home since the "estate" is broke. I have 2nd power of attorney but am not allowed access to any of the banks information, only enough to be able to pay the rent every month which keeps us pretty much broke.. Do I have any way of finding out where the money goes each month, it seems to me medicare is stealing my money or someone is selling a line of goods to us, somewhere. By the way my sister has Power of Attorney. Thank you. ([email protected]
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 6 years ago.

A living Will is usually set up in order to take care of this exact situation. It selects the individuals responsible for financials as well as medical care. It seems that you have a very limited Power of Attorney and your sister may have a more general one. One of you probably has Power of Attorney over all the bank accounts and more likely than not, your sister knows where the money is going since she has control over it so you should ask her.

Medicare probably does not have control over your mom's finances.