loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
Experience:  Trial Atty---NY, NJ & Fed Courts, Owner of law office for 10+ years--Recently joined this Site
17370926

My divorce was in Florida two years ago. Since then my ex moved

Customer Question

My divorce was in Florida two years ago. Since then my ex moved to Carmel NY with our minor children and I moved to Charlotte, NC. I lost my job and I am trying to petition the courts for modification of alimony and support.

I filed a petition in NY and the magistrate there told me to register the divorce order in NY. I have made over 50 phone calls to county clerks in NY and FL. I also spoke with people at the NY and FL child support enforcement units. No one know how to get it registered in NY. So my questions are: Where do I register the Divorce Order and how? Please, don't ask me to call anyone. I need specific answers.
Expert:  loeblaw replied 4 years ago.
If they are living in Carmel, it has to be filed with the County clerk in Putnam County where Carmel is located. You can send them by mail to the clerk of the court with a self addressed envelope and a copy of the motion for proof that it was filed.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I stated that I have already spoken with the county clerk in NY and they told me to call the child support enforcement unit in Florida and they would register the order. They in turn sent me to the Palm Beach County Clerk in Florida, who then sent me back to NY.
Expert:  loeblaw replied 4 years ago.
So send a copy of the order to both county clerks with a copy that it was sent to both counties with a letter explaining why you are doing it. Send them copies of both letters explaining you are getting red tap from both counties and ask for a conference call with both clerks if necessary in order to get the order filed and executed.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE