Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I signed a contract to lease a building to open a business.

I signed a contract to lease a building to open a business. The business I wanted to open could not be licensed in that location due to state codes. I found this out after I signed the contract. Can the building owners hold me to the contract even though I can't open my business in that location unless they are willing to modify the building to accomodate my business?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
Did the owners of the building know what kind of business you intended to open?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes they did
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
I think if they let you sign the lease knowing your intentions then you can claim a "mistake of fact" in the formation of the contract and cancel it. To avoid any problems see a local lawyer and have him write them a letter explaining the situation and why the contract is no longer valid, but offering to keep it in effect if they will make the modifications.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.