RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

i am in oregon..about three years ago i loaned $5000 to a friend.

i am in oregon..about three years ago i loaned $5000 to a friend. this person has failed to make any effort to pay me back & has basically severed all ties with me. there was only a verbal agreement that the money would be paid back. after three years is it too late to take them to small claims court? if not, is there a time limit? what is oregon law regarding a personal debt?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.
You have six years in Oregon to sue under a contract (oral or written). Oregon Revised Statute Section 12.080, so you are not out of time.

In Oregon, you can file a small claims case for cases up to $7,500.00, so you are also okay to file in small claims court. The Oregon State Bar Association has great information here on the small claims process, how to file, what to expect in court, etc.

If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you have a subscription or deposit). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.