JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal

My husband got laid off last year, doing so he went to school.

My husband got laid off last year, doing so he went to school. A year later now his boss said he wasnt laid off and now they are claiming fraud and making him pay back $12000. To pay that back they are going to start taking $1000 a month, which we cannot afford. Is there anything we can do?
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

I assume he took unemployment benefits and they are accusing him of unemployment fraud. This could have serious consequences beyond simply paying back the benefits. He needs to consult an attorney in your area and provide them documentation of these events. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. He needs to see what evidence he has from his employer that can cooberate his position that he was laid off. These things could include any documents provided (letters, etc) or witness statements of anyone who was present during the layoff.

This could carry criminal sanctions. I strongly recommend seeking a local attorney's advice before speaking with the government any further.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.