loeblaw, Attorney
Experience:  Trial Atty---NY, NJ & Fed Courts, Owner of law office for 10+ years--Recently joined this Site

Is charging first, last and security deposit illegal in california

Is charging first, last and security deposit illegal in california? if so and was charged all three and am now having a hard time getting deposit back what should I do? The house was left in great condition everything cleaned inside and out. We had mold issues in the house and lost property and had to leave the house due to wife being pregnant and us getting sick due to mold issues. Anyway for us to retrieve all or some of the damage that it caused to our property at least.
Expert:  loeblaw replied 6 years ago.
It would not be illegal to charge 2 months rent and security deposit. But if the house was left in good condition and the landlord refuses to return deposit you have a prime action for a small claims case. You can demand the return of security deposit, and under California law you, if you can show the landlord held the deposit without a good faith reason you can be entitled to up to $600 above the amount of security deposit amount.

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do I need more than pictures of the mold the house had and that was on our furniture and clothes etc to get money back for damages from landlord
Expert:  loeblaw replied 6 years ago.
I think that would be an excellent start....A copy of the lease would be helpful and if you have any pictures of your move out and proof that you moved out on time then you are set.