Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Hi - I had an FBI agent call me the other day requesting to

Hi - I had an FBI agent call me the other day requesting to meet with him - based on some bust they had a year back on a situation locally in town. Do I have to comply with the FBI agent and meet with them or should I just tell them to talk to my legal counsel - Here is the catch - even if I have no part or little part in it, can I tell the FBI to call my legal counsel - would that increase the FBI alert level and want to dig more to find dirt and try to get me in trouble. Please let me know.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

No you do NOT have to meet with FBI unless you want to, and you ARE entitled to have counsel present should you agree. If you lawyer up, it will make the FBI upset, but they're used to it so it won't necessarily increase any suspicions unless they already have a good amount on you.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already told him that I will meet with the officer tomorrow at 6:30 pm at a coffee shop. What do I have to do now since I have already agreed. Should I find a legal counsel and call the officer and tell them that I will not be able to make it tomorrow and get his phone number and name and give it to the legal counsel to deal with it - or should I tell the officer that I changed my mind and talk to my legal counsel etc.

I will add more $$ for your services after i hear from you. Thanks for helping me on this situation.

You can call back and cancel. Nothing binds you to it AT ALL. And yes, I would find counsel - you're doing this exactly as you should. Cancel the whole thing, and tell him that you need some time to find counsel (don't commit to anything w/o retaining an attny). Once you do, THEN have your attny call him and talk to him WITH an attorney if you'd like.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I do call and cancel will they then show up at my doorstep unexpectedly without any prior warning even if I have a legal counsel and told them to talk to my legal counsel.
I doubt it unless they have enough to arrest you then and there, and especially if you tell them you're hiring an attorney. Yes, really - this is the smart way to go.