P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

I ordered prescription pain killers online. (I cant believe

I ordered prescription pain killers online. (I can't believe they actually mailed them C.O.D.) My friend told me it's totally illegal (despite what the pharmacist insisted) and I could get in trouble. Fearing the DEA was going to bust down my door, i threw them into the garbage disposal. I never intend on doing ordering that type of item again, but I'm still worried I'm going to be arrested. Can I be arrested??

If so, how can i protect myself?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This will come down to one question? Did you have a valid prescription at the time you made this order?

The federal laws that relate to controlled substances (including many prescription medications) will apply to on line orders. Example: Many prescription pain killers are narcotics and illegal to possess or obtain without a prescription. On the other hand, if you have a valid prescription you can possess/use these medications.

So, if you had no prescription, it was illegal to obtain/keep these medications.

On the bright side, if you have not been arrested, it is not likely you will be...most arrests come before drugs are actually delivered.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.