How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56237
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

iam being sued for slander and annoying phone ringing.Both

Customer Question

iam being sued for slander and annoying phone ringing.Both of those things my husband and a friend worked up to get me into this mess.what do i do to protect myself.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. You would file an answer denying the claims. Slander requires showing false statements made to another causing harm to reputation and financially. It is an expensive and time consuming lawsuit.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
file an answer with whom?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You file an answer the court in which you were sued. The court should be identified in the complaint you received. A lawyer normally prepares it or the court clerk can help you do it on your own.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the person suing me is represented by a lawyer is there any way i can find that out before we go to court? The person suing me is telling family and freinds i vandalized her car and threatened her.Not true is there anything i can do about that?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the complaint would be signed by the lawyer or if the lawyer hired later, he would file a notice of appearance in court. If you are being slandered, you could counterclaim in your answer for slander.