Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I registered under a penny auction website and everything went

I registered under a penny auction website and everything went badly their first day. They had a facebook account which I was a friend under. I put up on their facebook that the site was running badly and that they had bad customer service for not responding to my complaints in a timely matter. They also said they would make me a new account and then two minutes later they deleted both my accounts and I turned around and said they were a bad company on Facebook. They wrote me an email threatening to sue me for slander and cyber terrorism. I only spoke the truth. Can they actually sue me for slander and cyber terrorism?
Thank you for your question.

I am not sure if there are grounds for cyber terrorism here, unless you attempted to somehow bring down their website by hacking them, or causing damage to them. As for defamation, that is a valid claim. While truth is the ultimate defense to any claim based on defamation, they can claim that you were not telling the truth. And, to be cynical, they can try to get attorneys and simply outspend you by pursuing such a claim against you. So while their case may not hold any real water, they very well can try it by basing the claim on the fact that you posted untrue statements which were about then and read by third parties and which as a consequence caused the company real injury.

I am sorry.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/1/2010 at 7:38 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi, thanks for the fast response. Could they still sue even though they deleted the facebook page that held all of the evidence? I can no longer obtain the information.

You are most welcome.

They can still try to sue you, but their damages would be limited, as the offending page no longer exists to cause them a loss of revenue. Most likely they simply wrote that to you as a means of deterring you from pursuing additional claims or setting up a website blasting them for what you fee was sub-par service.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/1/2010 at 7:44 AM EST