Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have an outstanding debt that was incurred due to a disolving

Customer Question

I have an outstanding debt that was incurred due to a disolving business venture. I could not pay the debt of $10,000 and therefore anticipated the day that the company would have someone contact me about collecting. That day came on 5/13/10. The persons name was Rick Morris and he said he was a lawyer respresenting the company. I allowed him to pressure me into sending 10 postdated check paying $250 every two weeks starting 5/28/10. I have since had second thoughts and done research. TCS is the company and I have not receive any written communication ever. I regret sending the checks. I checked my account and the first check has not cleared yet. I really need some advise on moving forward.
Submitted: 6 years ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

B]Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Response: Put stop payments on ALL on the checks immediately. Asking you to send post dated checks is illegal. Obviously, you cannot afford to pay at this time and you should not be pressured into post dating checks. See 15 U.S.C. Section 1692(2)-(4)