Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in LV, NV. My daughter is turning 18 in August graduating

Customer Question

I live in LV, NV. My daughter is turning 18 in August graduating from High School in a couple of days.Her biological father & I have had a child support order put in place since she was approximately 2yrs old, when he was just a mail room clerk for a bank, she received 269.00mo.I never requested his wages be re-evaluated throughout the last 15-16 years & realize that I should have done so every 3yrs as I am aware of his many increases in salary.Her support would have increased tremendously thruout the years with his continuing his education, promotions within the bank, business dealings (such as owning an auto-mechanic shop & being a successful real-estate agent while remaining a fulltime upper management level employee).She is attending UNR in Fall, but the child support order stops @18, although her stepfather&I will remain supporting her. How can I ensure she receives what he should have been paying her all these years in order for her to cont. her education, she has worked so hard!
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Response: Unfortunately, you cannot do a retroactive modification of a child support order. You cannot get more child support from your ex now because you did not ask for the increase before. The time to have asked for the increase has long passed and you cannot rewind the clock.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
and there is no recourse she can follow? Is she considered an adult as of 18?

and there is no recourse she can follow?

Response 1: There is no recourse.

Is she considered an adult as of 18?

Response 2: Yes. Age of majority in Nevada is 18. See Title 11, Chap. 129, NRS 129.010. Also, you have indicated that the "order stops @18."

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My husband and I find it so very hard to believe that we have been her support (essentially) her entire life and now, at the most expensive time of her life, the college tuitions, fees, books, room/board, he is no longer legally bound to provide for ANY of her needs? and neither myself or my daughter can request any further support

I am sorry to be the bearer of the bad news. However, I do not have anything else to add to the case.