Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor
Experience:  College Instructor

I failed to pay off my Auto Title Loan from 2006. The Lender

I failed to pay off my Auto Title Loan from 2006. The Lender just Summons me to Court and in preparing my answer, I have a few questions. The attached contract states 60% APR, yet the Cost Sheet breakdown prepared by the Plantiff states 60.83%. Is that an allowable dispute in my answer? Also, the Auto was repossessed and sold at Auction by the Plantiff. There was no notice sent to me regarding the sale and when I called the Office where I took the loan I was informed the car sold for 500.00. The Plantiff does not disclose any deduction for the sale of the car on the Cost Sheet. Is this an allowable dispute in my answer to the Courts? ARIZONA
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 6 years ago.

Yes, you can make a dispute on both, especially on the second one because you should be able to mitigate the damage by the amount that the car was sold for. It is best to put any and all disputes into the Answer as this is your chance to prove that you actually have a defense so the more you put in that can be justified, the better.

In your situation, you can either agree to pay the rest of the cost, try to settle for a lower amount with the lender instead of going to court (this will cost the lender less money and thus, they may be willing to settle with you for a lower amount), or you can consider filing bankruptcy, at which point you probably would not have to pay this debt at all.