Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have two judgements awarded against me with no payments made.

I have two judgements awarded against me with no payments made. They were awarded in 2006. I just wanted to know if they are able to take all of the money out of my bank account or keep my income tax check?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Have the judgment creditor obtained execution to levy your bank accounts?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dont think so, would that be listed in the original judgement, or is it seperate? They were default judgements against me, I just got the paperwork in the mail. Do they have to notify me ahead of time if they are going to take the money out? I just want to know if I should keep the amount of cash in my account to a minimum until I am able to get ahold of the creditors to set up payment arrangements.

Thank you for the additional information.

I dont think so, would that be listed in the original judgement, or is it seperate? They were default judgements against me, I just got the paperwork in the mail

Response: It is separate from the default judgment. The execution would be issued by the Court before your bank accounts are levied.

Do they have to notify me ahead of time if they are going to take the money out?

Response 2: No. However, you must get the execution notice before your bank account can be levied.

They cannot intercept your tax refunds. The only ones that can do this are taxing authorities, Child Support Enforcement, and US Department of Education for student loans.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The creditors that sued me are no longer in business. Do I go to the court that issued the judgement to make payment arrangements?

Response: You absolutely do no such thing.

Secondly, the Court does not get involved in making payment arrangements

Let whomever the judgments have been assigned to contact you. Otherwise, do nothing.