Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am attempting to help a friend. She has been married to an

Customer Question

I am attempting to help a friend. She has been married to an American citizen for 12 years. is presently in the US for the first time, on a three month emergengy visa in tha her husband is in bed here with a terminal disease. She wants to stay here. She has a 7 year old son that is a US citizen. How can we help?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

WE have done nothing. She has only been here from Thailand about a month. Time has been spent with her husband. It appears he may not be much help. They almost lost him today.

Response: This is a very unfortunate situation. There is nothing that can be done at this time to get her to stay here legally. Her US citizen son is too young to apply for green card for her. He must be at least twenty-one years old to petition for his mother. Had it being that the husband petitioned for her, then upon the husband's passing another relative could substitute for the husband in being the sponsor and being financially responsible for her.