HPlawyer
HPlawyer, Attorney
Experience:  GA Lawyer
17407822

Someone has claimed to have sent out mass email which could

Customer Question

Someone has claimed to have sent out mass email which could potentially destroy my professional reputation. I don't know who this person is, all I have is their AIM screen name with a saved conversation of them admitting to what they have done. Is there anything I can do about this?
Expert:  HPlawyer replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about this, but fortunately, you may be able to take action-- irrespective of whether such person has already sent out the e-mail or not.

In short, you need to speak with a local civil litigation attorney. If this individual has not already sent out the e-mail, then the attorney could potentially help you seek a TRO (temporary restraining order) or a TPO (temporary protective order) to prevent this individual from engaging in any such conduct. If such an individual has already sent out the e-mail, then depending on its content, you may be able to take legal action against this individual for defamation.

Nonetheless, in either scenario, a civil litigation attorney will be able to explain the process in detail and take steps to protect your interest. Taking legal action in such a situation can be complex because, generally speaking, your attorney would need to subpoena AOL to obtain the IP address of the AIM user, and thereafter, would have to subpoena the appropriate ISP in order to ascertain who the IP address belongs to.

Your local bar association will be a good resource in finding a local civil litigation attorney.

I wish you the best of luck.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

DISCLAIMER: Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney under any circumstances, period. I require a written engagement letter to serve as someone's attorney. Please keep in mind that everything you say in this exchange is readily accessible to the public (whether it is law enforcement, your nosy next door neighbor, or your mother-in-law, they can read what you write). Do not say anything that you do not want publicly known. If you want legal advice or an attorney-client relationship, and all the benefits that come with the attorney-client privilege, you should seek and retain local qualified counsel. You should also keep in mind that any information I give you is based on the limited facts you provide me, and any additional facts could substantially or completely alter any information I give you. Just for the record, unless you live in Georgia, I am not licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. In fact, my knowledge of laws is limited to Georgia. I am not an "expert"-- just a lawyer. Any information I provide you is for general information and educational purposes and shall not constitute legal advice. Consider it a good first step in your knowledge acquisition.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How much would it cost me to take legal action for defamation?
Expert:  HPlawyer replied 6 years ago.
Different attorneys charge vastly different rates, so it would be hard for me to give you even a ballpark figure without performing a due diligence analysis of your case.

Even if you were to find attorneys who only wanted to represent you on an hourly basis, you could find that their rates vary greatly.

Beyond that, some attorneys also represent clients in defamation suits on a fixed-fee basis that is negotiated up-front. Also, depending on the nature of your suit (and strength of your case), you may be able to find an attorney that would take your case on a contingency basis. This way, the attorney would only obtain a portion of the settlement or judgment obtained, and you wouldn't have to pay for the attorney out of pocket.

In short, it would probably be a best business practice to call a few different attorneys and do a bit of research in selecting an attorney.