Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor
Experience:  College Instructor
19568076

I just got notified of a default judgment against me. I was

I just got notified of a default judgment against me. I was not properly served. I am planning on declaring bankruptcy. I am sole owner of a corporation can they get access to my corporate accounts in addition to my personal accounts to satisfy a judgment against me? Should I file a motion to vacate the judgment tomorrow for improper service? Or wait and get it dismissed in my bankruptcy. I am uncomfortable the idea someone has access to my corporate checking accounts.
If you are able to file a motion to vacate, that would be the best idea as a personal bankruptcy may not protect your corporate accounts if you have a lot of money in there or too many assets in your company. Thus, you may not be able to file a complete bankruptcy since the bankruptcy laws look at your full worth, which includes your corporation. So if you are able to vacate this judgment and then fight the suit once they file again, this is your best chance to fighting this. Otherwise, you will probably have to pay the judgment.