Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

What if a union president drives the union provided car too

What if a union president drives the union provided car too him, which is bought or leased with union money, insurance paid by union money and gas and repair paid by union money , then one day decides to leave a union meeting drunk and then 5 hours later drives the union truck into a ditch and passes out from blowinng .11 alchol reading and telling the cops to f**k themselves and got real beligerant. This all happened 5 hours after the meetiong and he should only be using the car for union business and he hasnt since his only other veghicle is a moytorbike. I fact he shouldnt have left the meeting in that condition. He jeopardized the unions financial future and alsio the Elks Lodge where we have our meetings. He did state that he had drinks at the elks to the police. What happened after he left the elks at 8:30 and between 1:33 AM when he was founf in a ditch...wastedthis is all bad and I feel Mr Walker our President should pay backl all lease, insurance, gas and repairs to the car.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Response: If he left the meeting at 8:30PM and the accident occurred more than five hours later at 1:33AM, he would not be considered still doing business for the Union. Therefore, he would be responsible for all expenses as a result of the accident. He must also pay some of the expenses of operating the vehicle since he has not been using it strictly for union business.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Now what would you say if he has been using this vehicle for his own personnal use for 7 years. I feel he should pay all the way back into those seven years and pay it back to the union

Response: If you have solid proof that he he has been using the vehicle for his personal use, then you (the Union) would ask for reimbursement of expenses based on his percentage use of the vehicle for his personal affairs. For example, if he used the vehicle 70% of the time for his personal affairs and the operating expenses for those years totalled $7,000.00, then he would be liable for $4,900.00 (70% of $7,000.00) of the expenses.