Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

In a case where a judge denied a summary judgment because the

Customer Question

In a case where a judge denied a summary judgment because the defendant's could not explain why they couldn't file a summary judgment as required by the order set by that judge. It was made an order. Later that judge recused himself and the case was reassigned to another judge. That judge granted defendantsa extensive time on 2 occasions to file briefs. That judge granted summary judgment.

Did the courts commit an error of law or abuse of discretion when it entered summary judgment in favor of defendants?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Summary Judgment may be granted where there are no issues of fact. I cannot say if it was error on the part of the Judge to grant Summary Judgment because I do not know what the pleadings allege.

If you are asking if the Judge committed an error of law or abused his discretion when granting an extension of time to file briefs - the Judge did not commit an error of law, nor did he abuse his discretion in granting an extension of time.

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I may receive credit for assisting you

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can the reassigned judge vacate the order of the first judge in a civil matter?