legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas

can i get full custody of my child My ex girlfriend just

can i get full custody of my child? My ex girlfriend just gave birth to our baby boy two months ago he is a preemie, but there is a huge problem. my ex's mother and her mothers byfriend smokes weed in there house all day everyday, I have talked with my ex numerous time about the illegal issue along with my preemie son being exposed to weed and the only answer she gives me is she can do nothing but deal with it. what should i do
You can petition the court for custody and you can call DFPS to report the illegal drug use around the child and the DFPS can take the child from the mother and give him to you to care for until the mother can get a better home environment.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well i believe her parents will get her to say at some point that she has found better enviorment but i know she will continue to stay with them and allow weed around him
If she does not move DFPS will monitor and know that she is lying or if you get court ordered custody there can be an attorney ad litem appointed for your son who will watch the mother and not allow visitation until she does actually remove herself from the situation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok so how do i get this proccess started at the court and what is the dfps how can i get in touch with them
You need to file a petition to establish custody if there is no current order or a petition to modify custody if there is an order already in place. Go to legal aid for help or hire a family law attorney. DFPS is department of family protective services. This is a link to their website, on the left click on "how to report abuse".
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
And the petition part i have to file at the court house is that correct?
Yes you file at the court house and send a copy of the petition you file to the mother to give her notice that you are filing the petition.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Shelly you have been awesome I hope this gets me on the path of getting my child in a physical and mentally heatlhy enviroment have a wonderful evenning, once you reply to this message i will accept answer so you can continue on with your night. thanks once again and god bless
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX glad I could help and I hope you are able to get a better situation for your son.