How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask loeblaw Your Own Question
loeblaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1669
Experience:  Trial Atty---NY, NJ & Fed Courts, Owner of law office for 10+ years--Recently joined this Site
Type Your Legal Question Here...
loeblaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just recieved a court summons. I dont want to refute it,

This answer was rated:

I just recieved a court summons. I don't want to refute it, I do owe the money. Can I call the attorney whose name is XXXXX XXXXX that represents the plantiff? Can I settle this without going to court? Or does a court summons mean that it doesn't matter that I have to go to court anyway? If so, it says to write a statement of defense.. I have no defense and am not sure what the next step would be.
If you are agreeing that you owe the money that is demanded in the complaint then you can call the attorney and let him know that you are prepared to settle the matter. If you do, then there is no reason to answer the complaint or file responsive papers in court. However, you should make sure that before you send any money, the Plaintiff sends you a release which states upon payment, you are released from further liability with respect to this claim. Once you get the release and make payment. You should get a stipulation of settlement and discontinuance which should be filed in the Court where the original summons was filed so that the Court will receive notice that the case against you has been resolved and discontinued.

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question.. Please remember to click ACCEPT and PLEASE NOTE that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Feel free to contact me to discuss how I can be of further assistance to you. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So if I get a stipulation of settlement and discontinuance, do I need to file it or does the plantiff do that?
You would file it in order to protect yourself. It creates a record that the case is done.
loeblaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you