Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have lived with a boyfriend since 1994, 5 years in Kansas

I have lived with a boyfriend since 1994, 5 years in Kansas and 11 years in Missouri. He is 71 and I am a 58 years old female. He has been in the hospital for 3 weeks and has cerebral damage, which has been developing for the last year or so. The oldest of his 3 sons just got legal guardianship over him since he is not able to make decisions. He is currently in a nursing home and his son does not want him to return to our home. He bought the home for us 11 years ago and my name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed. Do I have any legal rights as far as medical decisions? I have told is son I would quit my job and take care of him in our home. His son lives 90 miles from Kansas City and wants his father to live closer to him. Do I have any legal rights to the money he has earned and saved since we have been together? There about 10,000.00 in checking 20,000.00 in savings and around250,000.00 in CD I know the CD are in the 3 sons names. Do I have any legal rights at all?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
In order to claim any rights you would have to claim that a common law marriage occurred when you were in Kansas, since Missouri does not establish or recognize common law marriages formed in the state of Missouri but would recognize a common law marriage established in a state that does recognized common law marriage.

Under Kansas law, a common law marriage is a marriage by agreement of the two persons without any formal ceremony or license. A common law marriage will be recognized in Kansas if the couple considers themselves to be married and publicly holds themselves out to be married and if they are legally eligible to marry. No minimum period of cohabitation is required. Common Law marriages are subject to the same legal obligations and privileges that apply to marriages with licenses.

You are going to need an attorney in MO to seek an order recognizing you as his common law spouse from the time in Kansas and then you would have the same rights of any other spouse.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law