Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

my husband passed away 17 weeks ago and he had a credit card

my husband passed away 17 weeks ago and he had a credit card that I was an authorized user on. I did not use the card as it was his and I am not responsible for the payment of the card as it has nothing to do with my ss# XXXXX me. I have now noticed that it is showing up as a negative mark on my credit report. Can I have this removed and how?
Thank You
Darlene
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What city and state do you live in?
-Was an estate opened after your husband passed away?

Did he leave any assets?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You for your time. I live in Massachusetts and my husband did not have an estate. The only asset I have is a small ins policy.

DearCustomer- I am assuming that no one is attempting to collect the debt since you made no mention of any collection activities. The credit bureaus are private companies so you must write a letter disputing the report of this debt on your credit. Unless you used the card you have no personal liability for your husband's credit card. If there was no estate and no assets then there would be nothing for the credit card company to collect from.

If the credit card company institutes any collection activity you will also have to defend that in a court. Dealing with the credit bureaus can be a nightmare but you must write a letter disputing the debt to have any chance of getting it removed. If all else fails you can sue the credit bureaus but, depending on how much is owed to the credit card company, it may be cheaper to pay the debt.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: 25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They did try in the begining but alas they are now attempting to contact anyone that has ever known me. I was told by an attorney on this site that I am not liable. I might have used the card in the past 12 years but I do not think so. I realize that it might cost me some monies in my taxes next go around because he passed in January so I will have to file as married and then amend it. You think that the credit bureaus will fight me about removing it from my credit status?