loeblaw, Attorney
Experience:  Trial Atty---NY, NJ & Fed Courts, Owner of law office for 10+ years--Recently joined this Site

I am the defendant in an upcoming civil matter between me and

I am the defendant in an upcoming civil matter between me and a private club. I must choose if I want a jury trial or not. My gut tells me to go with the jury trial. However, here are a couple of questions:

1) The pre-trial hearing is coming up soon and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with the judge. On average, do judges care much if you choose a jury trial or not?

2) While my gut tells me jury trial I really have no basis for this being a good decision or not. What are the advantages and disadvantages for having a jury trial?

Expert:  loeblaw replied 6 years ago.
A judge would generally have no reason to feel slighted by a plaintiff opting to request a jury trial. Most of the time, absent extenuating circumstances, attorneys represent jury trials as a matter of course. If you are represented by counsel, the best person to ask if you have anything to fear is your attorney who likely is familiar with the judges in the court where your case is venued...but unless there is something unusual about your case there is no disadvantage in asking for a jury trial...certainly not in terms of fear that it will anger your assigned judge.

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question.. Please remember to click ACCEPT and PLEASE NOTE that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Feel free to contact me to discuss how I can be of further assistance to you. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.