Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is it a form of harassment if your boss intimidates you by

Is it a form of harassment if your boss intimidates you by: never saying good morning to you , while she says good morning to a co-worker at the same table, but ignores you. Never talks to you unless you talk to her first, but seems to talk to everyone else but you.
When you ask her questions she writes you up for being confrontational?
She doesn't give you time to explain anything, she cuts you off.
You are trying to make small talk with her and she point blanks says to you"and your telling me this why"?
I was so dumbfounded by this remark I told her I was just trying to make small talk...she didn't say anything else.
I broke my ankle a few days ago and am allowed to walk on it...she made the remark after I did that I must have walked on my ankle too much over the weekend it hurts. She said to me..yes I saw you in the grocery store walking everywhere...and then rolled her eyes.
This person is now working on my last good nerve....She is making me want to quit.
Yolanda S

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Is it a form of harassment if your boss intimidates you by: never saying good morning to you , while she says good morning to a co-worker at the same table, but ignores you. Never talks to you unless you talk to her first, but seems to talk to everyone else but you. When you ask her questions she writes you up for being confrontational? She doesn't give you time to explain anything, she cuts you off. You are trying to make small talk with her and she point blanks says to you"and your telling me this why"? I was so dumbfounded by this remark I told her I was just trying to make small talk...she didn't say anything else. I broke my ankle a few days ago and am allowed to walk on it...she made the remark after I did that I must have walked on my ankle too much over the weekend it hurts. She said to me..yes I saw you in the grocery store walking everywhere...and then rolled her eyes. This person is now working on my last good nerve....She is making me want to quit.

Response: Unfortunately, what you described here eventhough that it can be annoying, it is not harassment. Your boss does not have to interact with you or be social with you if he does not want to. Your boss cannot be forced to be nice to you. However, your boss cannot discriminate against you when it comes to job assignments, promotions, benefits, and so on because of your membership in a protected group--race, age, gender, national origin and disability. What you described here is a very rude and annoying boss. However, that does not make the actions of the boss illegal.

Quitting is not the answer. If you quit, you would not be eligible for unemployment. You must learn how to ignore this boss and not let what he/she is doing severely impact your job performance. If your job performance deteriorates, you could be fired and you may not be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Edited by AttorneyPhillips on 6/1/2010 at 1:53 AM EST