HPlawyer
HPlawyer, Attorney
Experience:  GA Lawyer
17407822

Can you think of any situations in which lying is acceptab

Can you think of any situations in which lying is acceptable?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Legally acceptable or morally acceptable?
Expert:  HPlawyer replied 6 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

The simple answer: although I believe that lying is generally wrong and to be avoided, the surrounding circumstances ultimately control whether it is acceptable. To give you the classic example, if a Nazi SS officer asks you whether or not you are harboring Jews (and you know that if you say yes, the officer will kill them), I believe that it is not only acceptable to lie in such a scenario, but it is actually ethical.

If you need any more specific clarification or have any follow-up questions, please let me know.

DISCLAIMER: Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney under any circumstances, period. I require a written engagement letter to serve as someone's attorney. Please keep in mind that everything you say in this exchange is readily accessible to the public (whether it is law enforcement, your nosy next door neighbor, or your mother-in-law, they can read what you write). Do not say anything that you do not want publicly known. If you want legal advice or an attorney-client relationship, and all the benefits that come with the attorney-client privilege, you should seek and retain local qualified counsel. You should also keep in mind that any information I give you is based on the limited facts you provide me, and any additional facts could substantially or completely alter any information I give you. Just for the record, unless you live in Georgia, I am not licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. In fact, my knowledge of laws is limited to Georgia. I am not an "expert"-- just a lawyer. Any information I provide you is for general information and educational purposes and shall not constitute legal advice. Consider it a good first step in your knowledge acquisition.

HPlawyer, Attorney
Experience: GA Lawyer