Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I would like to write a judge a letter about a young man who

Customer Question

I would like to write a judge a letter about a young man who will be sentenced on June 2nd. He has turned his life around and just wants to serve his time and go on with his life. What should I write to the judge to let him know that this young man is trying very hard before sentencing on June 2nd. This young man is also writing a letter. He realizes that drugs and a rough childhood is no excuse. Being neglected and physically and verbally abused by his dad turned him to drugs. That is how he dealt with his pain, therefore, he made wrong decisions. If you met this young man you would have a heart of compassion for him. Please help me in helping him get a minimum sentence and help in rehab. He has found God in healing him and making right decisions and is very sorry for what wrong things he has done in the past. Please help me write a letter to judge. Thank you.
Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Yes address it to the Honorable... and reference the person you are writing about.Set out all of this because it may well help the judge understand the problems this person hes overcome.Ask the court to show mercy ans allow him to seek help and rehab here.It sure may make a difference.I wish you and him the best in this matter.You are a great person to seek to help him out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When you say set out all of this do you mean his childhood and how he has found God in healing and delivering him from his wrong doings? Can you write the letter for me or help me get started with a good topic sentence and closing statement.

Thank you.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.

Honorable XXXXX XXXXX

123 rd District Court

Re: Case No.23213 Rodger Jones

Dear Judge Smith,

I am writing you concerning the above referenced young man.I understand that he is to be sentenced for .....I wanted to ask you to consider his special circumstances and ask for some mercy and understanding.He has overcome a childhood of...

He can benefit society by receiving rehabilitation for his drug problems.They have contributed to his present circumstances......

Sincerely Yours,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I keep the letter short and to the point? Would the judge take time to read about his childhood? Should I go in detail?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does giving the judge a card with the letter inside make it more personal. The card reads A grateful heart is a happy heart. What do you think?
Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.
I think I would stick to business here--write your letter.A serious letter here will get serious consideration.You are advocating for the person and seeking mercy.Cards might dilute the matter.Stick to the subject and submit it as serious letter.A serious letter gets you serious consideration and hopefully some mercy.