JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal

Hello, Hope you can answer this question for me. I bought a

Customer Question

Hello, Hope you can answer this question for me. I bought a motorcycle 2 years ago, the company that I financed it through was suppose to have recorded a lien on the bike but didn't, title has no lien or is there one listed in the computer at the court house. Without the lien recorded is it legal for me to transfer the bike without paying the mortagae off?
Thank you for your help
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

The only risk is that you may have signed a contract with your lender not to transfer the bike without paying the total amount (most promissory notes have this provision). If you sell the bike, the sale will be valid but you may end up getting sued for breach of contract. That would not harm the new owner, but you could end up having to pay the entire note immediately.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This was put on a Kawasaki Credit card an it says nothing about selling the bike, just that I agree to pay at least th emin payments.
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.
Read the fine print carefully (including on your credit card application). If it isn't there then it isn't there. Chances are they would never find out unless you stop making the payments. Even if they do find out they can only sue if that provision exists in you application or contract.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX going to continue making the payments just not putting any the money I got out of the bike on the note.
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

Thank you and good luck.