lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

Can a person with a restraining order against them hire a private

Can a person with a restraining order against them hire a private investigator to investigate the person the restraining order is protecting, in New Jersey?
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Yes they can. There is no restriction as to an investigation as long as no privacy laws are violated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Maybe I was to vague...

I have been placed on my boyfriends the restraining order because his ex wife was charded with harrassment against me. She called and left threatening message such as she would hunt me down, find me, I would be sorry etc. She was found guilty and the judge that issued the restraining order added me to it. (no contact, 59ft away, no third party should be used to get to the protected)

Recently I found out that she has used a private investigator to obtain personal information about me and she has in her posession my drivers lisence number and a copy of a title to a motorcycle that I own. This is all I know of, I don't know what else she has. Is this a violation of therestraining order?

Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
One question is whether this was prior to the order. If so then there is absolutely no violation. If afterward then it could be used as evidence if she uses the information is some way that damages you. I don't know how either or those would be damaging.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Well, if she has threatened me and stated that she was going to hunt me down and that I would be sorry, and I don't know what other information she has or who might be following me, how am I suppose to feel safe when I am out alone or on my motorcycle now that she has had me investigated. I thought the restraining order would protect me from her harrassing and worring me. Maybe not damaging but most certainly, it makes me fearful, its disturbing and very invading. </p><p>I spoke to a domestic violence advocate and she had me report it to the police, motor vehicles had me seek out the police and the police seem to think it is harrassment. </p><p> Wayne, its  after the FRO was in place.</p><p> </p>
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
and the police seem to think it is harrassment

Then they can arrest her for a violation of the restraining order and the judge will decide. I don't think it is sufficient for a conviction but then I am a defense attorney.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK Wayne,

I guess its good to see the opposing side. I am sure you can understand my concern. She has prior restraining order violantions as well. Maybe thats why the police or judge may view it differently. She can't seem to be able to controll herself and leave me alone.

Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
A stalker can be a frightening experience. An attorney here was recently killed by the party on the other side of the divorce action. You are doing the correct thing by reporting to the police. Always keep a camera handy, one on your cell phone is best so you can get evidence if you see her.
lwpat, Attorney
Experience: Actively practicing trial attorney
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your time...Have a great day!