Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

is it a crime to open someone elses mail if it is delivered

is it a crime to open someone else's mail if it is delivered to your mailbox? what if it is a husband opening his soon to be ex-wife's mail that is addressed to the home they used to live in together? This mail is mail from attorneys related to a legal matter where the wife is owed money from a lawsuit or if she loses case then may owe money, in any case, it is private mail. (I am the wife)
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Willfully opening mail addressed to a 3rd party without permission is a Federal offense

http://www.usps.com/communications/news/security/mailtampering.htm

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I asked a follow up question and u did not respond. I am still not sure about if mail is delivers to your mailbox if it is still a federal offense. If my husband who still lives where I used to live with him before I moved out opens my mail is it a fedral offense for him to do so. It was court documents related to money that people owe me and that I may owe. It was confidential. He and I are in the middle of a divorce
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
I never received your follow-up question. As you can see it is not on this thread.

It is a Federal offense for your husband to open your mail even though it was delivered to the residence where you used reside. Willfully opening mail addressed to a 3rd party without permission is a Federal offense.