D. WINOGO ESQ.
D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney
Experience:  10+years of experience in all matters of civil litigation and Hearing Officer/Arbitrator
18858452

We live in livingston parish louisiana, we own about 10 acres

We live in livingston parish louisiana, we own about 10 acres but do not have a fence. Our neighbors have pit bulls. The pitt bulls have been on our property, but not often at all. Last night the owner was on our property loking for his dog, said he got loose. I saw the pit bull on our property, then I found our dog all beat up, bites, cuts, I'm sure it was their dog. I didn't call them about it because our dog is a friendly lab, but I have seen our dog go on their property occasionally, just to check it out. I don't want to start a feud with the neighbors, I don't think either one of us can afford a fence, but I don't ever want their pit bulls harming my small children. Any advice?
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 6 years ago.
You need to report the incident to your neighbor and to the local animal control. This way, if it happens again, the neighbors will be deemed to have prior notice of their dogs' vicious tendencies. This is all you can do, unless you put up a barrier of some sort to make sure that the dogs don't wander onto your property. Your only other recourse is to talk to the neighbors and see if they can get some sort of protective enclosure for their pit bulls.