socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

How do I get an unlawful detainer off of my record in ca The

How do I get an unlawful detainer off of my record in ca? The landlord and I went back and forth and I have a $2000 judgement against her which she refuses to pay...While in court we both agreed that i would be out at a certain date which I was, and the UD would not go on my record...However, I applied to rent a place 2yrs later and it showed up...I've been out on the road for close to two years but now need to rent a place...The place was a scam from the get go when she took over $2000 in rent and deposits, cashed them and then two weeks later told me I was being evicted...I had an original attorney who worked on this and got a $2000 judgement against her, but she is out of state and will not pay...In addition, we believe at the time she was in the process of going into foreclosure.At any rate, I couldn't afford the attorney any longer and went into court myself...Were we both agreed I would vacate by a certain date which i did. However somehow, it's on my record in the court....Of course i was turned down for the property...

Thanks,

Greg
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

If a judgment of possession was not entered against you by the court, then you can dispute the entry on each of your credit reports by writing to the credit reporting agency and explaining the situation. You can also demand that the landlord remove the credit entry immediately, and if she doesn't, then you can sue the landlord for violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act, for actual damages or $1,000, plus attorney's fees and costs of suit.

If a judgment of possession was entered against you by the court, then it doesn't matter if you obtained a judgment against the landlord, because your credit report accurately discloses the judgment.

In which case, you might want to negotiate with the landlord, by offering to remove the judgment against her from her credit report, in exchange for her removing yours.

Assuming she agrees, you could each file a motion to set aside and dismiss judgment in each of the preceeding cases, and the other party could consent and then the credit reporting agencies would automatically delete the judgment entries on your respective reports.

That about covers the possibilities. Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could you look at the court record and tell me if in fact what was entered?

The case number XXXXX the San Diego Superior Court is 37-2008-00038584-CL-UD-NC

I just looked it up online but am not sure what I am reading....

Gregory S Hagen