Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

PC 272. Contributing to the Delinquency of a minor. When

Customer Question

PC 272. Contributing to the Delinquency of a minor.
When I learned of my son's coach intending to celebrate his 19th birthday with a night out of drinking, etc, I offered to drive him and his friends my Limo as a favor to make sure they were all going to be safe. They had brought hard alcohol with them. When they asked if I could drive them 30 minutes up the hill to a liquor store, where they know they can purchase more alcohol, I offered to just run into the local gas station if they would be OK with just beer. A witness saw me hand this 18 pack into the back window, called 911, and stated they witnessed the driver of the limo giving alcohol to 14-16 year olds. I was pulled over about 3 minutes later, where I admitted to giving a case of beer to the back, and knew the birthday boy was 19, and all the parents knew where these kids were. The kids all were asked for their IDs, documented, and not cited. I was cited for the PC272, eventhough they are all over 18. Now what? Please advise
Submitted: 6 years ago via ExpertLaw.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Appear here at court and plead not guilty.Ask for judge to court appoint you a lawyer here.They are also going to set some kind of bond here and either you pay or they will keep you in jail.You can talk to prosecutor here about plea options as well prior to going in front of judge and asking for lawyer.You woudl want some kind of deferred sentencing here.That might include community service or some kind of alcohol class.These are you options and procedures.

Each count hereup to 1 year in county jail and a fine of up to $2,500 for each.

Edited by RayAnswers on 5/19/2010 at 6:14 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Talk to a Prosecuter where?

Alcohol Class? I have been the sponsor/helper in my girlfriends AA, as I don't even drink.

These kids are all old enough to die for our country, and were already drinking, with parents awareness. Isn't a PC272 for under 18?

What could I be facing here?

Is a court ordered attoney a Public Defender?

Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
No your case and whatever court will have an assigned prosecutor.Either you talk to him here or wait until you have appointed counsel.Your problem here is that they may charge you with each passenger as a separate count.This greatly increases your exposure here both with jail and fines and bond for that matter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry, but only part of that was answered..help?

Alcohol Class?

I have been the sponsor/helper in my girlfriends AA, as I don't even drink.

These kids are all old enough to serve and die for our country, and were already

drinking, with parents awareness..... Isn't a PC272 for under 18?

What could I be facing here? Time? Fines?

How much could Bail be?

Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.

Alcohol Class?

I have been the sponsor/helper in my girlfriends AA, as I don't even drink.Well you purchased for underage kids here so its a possibility here as an alternative to fines and time.

Under 21 here not age 18.

What could I be facing here? Time? Fines?Each count up to one year in jail and $2,500

How much could Bail be?Judge decides here--and it depends on number of counts involved as to level of bail

Is a court ordered attorney a Public Defender?yes.And you have to be careful here--if you make bail they may not give you court appointed lawyer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, as I went to see my kids after school...

Wow!!!!

My ticket shows 11 Counts in parenthesis!

What could help in reducing fines? time? and Bail?

I am 48 without any blemishes in my life!

Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
No way around a lawyer here.This is serious.I would spend time locating a lawyer and bail bondsman.Since they were all here together they might have some mercy in negotiating plea .They might reduce the counts or allow you to plead to a couple and drop the rest.Sounds like they are playing hardball with all the counts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wow, darn, and OK...now any advice on finding an attorney and bail bondsman for Sacramento? and is this adviseable as opposed to a Public Defender, when I'm not employed?