socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My babysitter molested me 15 years ago and I am finally getting

Customer Question

My babysitter molested me 15 years ago and I am finally getting the courage to say something about it. I know where to find him. What are my options?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

The child sex abuse statutes of limitations are found in Rev. Code Wash. 9A.04.080(1)(b)(iii), as follows:

(A) Violations of RCW 9A.44.040 or 9A.44.050 if the rape is reported to a law enforcement agency within one year of its commission; except that if the victim is under fourteen years of age when the rape is committed and the rape is reported to a law enforcement agency within one year of its commission, the violation may be prosecuted up to the victim's twenty-eighth birthday.

(B) If a violation of RCW 9A.44.040 or 9A.44.050 is not reported within one year, the rape may not be prosecuted: (I) More than three years after its commission if the violation was committed against a victim fourteen years of age or older; or (II) more than three years after the victim's eighteenth birthday or more than seven years after the rape's commission, whichever is later, if the violation was committed against a victim under fourteen years of age.

(c) Violations of the following statutes may be prosecuted up to the victim's twenty-eighth birthday: RCW 9A.44.073, 9A.44.076, 9A.44.083, 9A.44.086, *9A.44.070, 9A.44.080,9A.44.100 (1)(b), 9A.44.079, 9A.44.089, or 9A.64.020.

END TEXT

What all that legal gobbledygook means is that the crime your babysitter would be prosecuted under depends on exacty what was done to you, and just as important, what the district attorney can prove (which may not be much, due to the passage of time).

The only way to know for sure, is contact law enforcement and report the incident. If the police or sheriff investigate and find a crime that they can prosecute, you will be the first one to know.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.