Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
12106879

I sold my car via private sale. Money has exchanged hands

I sold my car via private sale. Money has exchanged hands and a bill of sale has been signed and notarized. The title has not been signed over to the new buyer because in GA there is a 10 mandatory wait before the lender can release the title. It began overheating soon after the sale. After being checked by a mechanic it is in need of repair at a cost of $800-$1300. The Buyer is threatening to sue me for the costs of the repair in Douglas County, GA. I do not feel responsible as I didn't realize the car had a bad problem. The Buyer had every opportunity to inspect the car and even test drove the car, which performed flawlessly. Am I legally responsible for this car? Does the buyer have a right to sue me?
I am sorry you are going through this.

You are not responsible for this car. You are correct that the buyer had an opportunity to inspect the car. The buyer bought it "as is." He has no right to sue you and you would win any lawsuit!

Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does it matter if the words "As-Is" are not printed on the bill of sale? I assumed that this is implied. Thank you.
It does not matter. The "as is" term is implied in every used car purchase.