Cedric, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer with several years of litigation experience in civil and criminal law.

MY insurance TOTAL HEALTH CHOICE is no longer offering individual

MY insurance TOTAL HEALTH CHOICE is no longer offering individual HMO coverage in the State of Florida. My contract finishes on December 1St 2010. I expect to look for another Health Insurance for Preferred Medical Plan. I am 71 Years old and my husband 78 Y. I am working at FIU without benefits.

Is this new insurance able to deny us for our age and health with the new Obama Law?

Thank you for your help. My e-mail is:[email protected]

Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, yes, they are still able to deny you based on your age even with the new Obama law, since it doesn't go into effect until 2014.

At that time, that type of discrimination in denying you health coverage based upon your age would constitute a violation of Obama's new law and would be illegal, but unfortunately as of now, it is still legal for insurance companies to engage in these discriminatory practices in denying coverage.