Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

In Tennessee, are joint accounts for unmarried couples always

In Tennessee, are joint accounts for unmarried couples always assumed to be a joint tenancy with right of survivorship or by default are they simple joint accounts and does joint tenacy need to be specifically written in. How does an executor ask a bank to prove joint tenancy vs. a simple joint account with no survivorship?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. The signature card controls. It with either say "joint tenants with right of survivorship," or it will say "as tenants in common." Sometimes, the signature card will have a box to check if there is supposed to be a right of survivorship, which makes it easy to tell. But, usually, if two people open an account together, there will be a right of survivorship. If one person already has an account and adds the other, there must be some evidence that the original account holder wanted to give the new account holder the right.

Either account signer can request a copy of the signature card to verify the status.