dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree

My mother in-law has not taken her deceased husbands name off

Customer Question

My mother in-law has not taken her deceased husbands name off of the titles of his car he died May 5, 2005 and was letting her crack head son use it until it broke down. She received a abandon car notice which was sent to deceased husbands name and has not done anything about. So the bill went up and Oregon State Department sent another notice saying my father in-laws name and that he is deceased. She says her attorney told her just to tear up the papers because they can't come after a dead man. She has a home and another car that they can go after I think he gave her bad advice she lives in Portland, Oregon.
Expert:  dkennedy replied 6 years ago.

I agree with the attorney that told her they cannot come after a dead man. Apparently the car was in his name only and although technically, it was marital property, there is no way they could or even would take anything of hers because of that car.

I would do this, however--Have your husband write to the Oregon State Department and enclose the bill that was sent (keep a copy) and explain that this was his father's car. A family member was driving it after father's death and now this bill came. Please stop sending the bill because the estate closed long ago. That should take care of it.