Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

For PaulMJD... In federal court, I am suing a Village. I

For PaulMJD... In federal court, I am suing a Village. I filed a motion for summary judgment, and the Village filed their cross motion for summary judgment. I retained an attorney, and he was suppose to answer the Village's cross motion. This attorney did not file his appearance and did not file the required answer. I did not know until the Village's attorney informed me. What motion should I file to ask the court to give me a chance to file that answer to the Village's cross motion?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You should do two things. First, if you hired the attorney and he failed to perform, then you need to file a complaint with the Office of Disciplinary Counsel of the ARDC. Also, you need to file a motion for an extension of time to file your response and in the motion you state the name of the attorney you hired, attach proof you hired him and the ARDC complaint filed for malpractice. If you end up losing this case you could also have a lawsuit against the attorney for malpractice if you can prove that had he answered this as he was bound to do that you had a high probability of winning your claim.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not think that a motion for extended time would be appropriate, it has been a few months. I believe that I should file a motion for leave to respond. Would that be correct, or do I file a motion for extended time?
I understood that he failed to respond but was within the date to respond, if he missed the date to respond, then you will have to file a Motion for Leave to Respond Out of Time, and you should also be looking at possibly suing the attorney for malpractice.