legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas

If I create an excel tool at my company and move to another

If I create an excel tool at my company and move to another company can I use the same excel tool at my new company?
Do you have a proprietary agreement with your current employer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure, they did have us sign a bunch of documents via an e-mail about 6 months ago so I'm sure I did at some point.
If you created the tool as part of your job, and it is being used by your employer, then they would have ownership rights over tools that you created and you could not take it to a new employer. Now if you just created it for your own use and the employer is not using it as an organization, then you can take it with you and use it at a new employer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Does it matter that it's in Excel, because I know how to build it so could I just change the format? I don't think they could own excel formulas.

If you just used formulas to get a spread sheet to do something, then it is not like creating a new software so they would have no ownership interest and you can take it or just build it again at the new employer.