Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

My 6 y/o son has been suspended from the after school place

My 6 y/o son has been suspended from the after school place for one day for allegedly using an "N-word" against his friend (who is white). My son doesn't even know what that word means and he never heard of it I am sure. As a matter of fact, my wife and I always talk in our native tongue Serbian at home and speak both English and Serbian to our kids. My son's after-school teacher (who is African American) supposedly heard my son today saying the "N-word" to the other kid and asked that kid: "Nicky ... Did Marko just said what I thought he said"? The other kid just said: "Yes". And ... boom ... Enough reason for suspension. By the way, according to the same teacher, other kids can't wait for my son to get in trouble. He is the youngest one there. My wife is under a great deal of stress now and takes medication as we think this was not fair and based on "I though he said". My son doesn't speak very good English and has issues communicating and I am sure was missunderstood. Please help!
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening

Thank you for your question

You have taken all proper steps - You believe this was a misunderstanding, you have an appointment to speak with a supervisor at the school. You have done everything correctly and as much as you can do right now. The only thing that I would add is that after the meeting speak with the teacher. If you think it will help avoid future misunderstandings, possibly think about having her sit in on the meeting, if it will help avoid future misunderstandings.

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I may receive credit for assisting you

Your question will not close and when you press "ACCEPT" you may ask follow up questions, if you want

That is the only way I get paid

Positive Feedback and BONUS are not required but they are a nice way to show you appreciate the expert's time and effort

If you have questions in the future, feel free to ask for me by typing your name at the beginning of your question

Don't forget to leave positive feedback