Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Good evening, I owned a small catering business is Philadelphia,

Good evening, I owned a small catering business is Philadelphia, Pa. One of my employees was caught stealing from us, to make a very long story short, it is in the DA's hands now and it happened in 2004, the DA finally got the case going and filed the criminal suit in Sept of 2009, we are still waiting for the alleged criminal to show up for his hearing, he did show for his first case hearing and posted bail. My question pertains to a civil suit I would like to start. What is the time period I have to file a civil suit against him? Am I too late or do I have to wait for a judgement on the criminal case? Is the statue of limitations expired or may I still file a civil suit? daveram,XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX Thank you for your immediate answers if you can help.. The criminal suit is filed in Philadelphia PA. The assistant DA is own the case, his name isXXXXX
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
You do not need to wait for the criminal case to end before suing, since they are two different types of cases with two different types of burdens of proof. In the criminal case, the proof is required is beyond a reasonable doubt and the civil case requires only a preponderance of the evidence. Because the DA took so long moving on this case, the statute of limitations of 2 years would have been on hold pending the criminal trial outcome. Of courts, you could also seek to save the cost of a civil trial and ask the DA to have the court order restitution in the criminal proceeding.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law