lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney

how do I find out if my recently deceased father had a will

Customer Question

how do I find out if my recently deceased father had a will or named his children as beneficiaries on any insurance policies and also if we are entitled to any proceeds from the selling of his Deleware house?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Someone will need to file in the probate court to be the personal representative of the estate. That person is responsible for going through his papers and trying to find out the answers to all of your questions. If there is a will his property will be distributed in accordance with his will. If there is no will then it will be distributed by intestacy among the heirs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need a probate lawyer to tell me rather or not we would be entitled to any proceeds if his wife sells the house and isn't there another way to find out about any insurance policies?