NewYorkLaw101, Attorney
Experience:  10 years civil litigation, no-fault, personal injury, premise liability and municipality law

I have a legal question concerning a stolen motorcycle. I had

I have a legal question concerning a stolen motorcycle. I had a motorcycle stolen last November. I filled out a police report regarding the incident when it happened. Directly afterwards,I moved and struggled a lot with many changes in my life.I almost had to file bankrupcy but managed to start pulling myself out of having to do this gradually. I have collateral insurance(which if I understand correctly also covers stolen property)on the motorcycle through American General Finance who I had the original motorcycle loan through.Currently, my motorcycle title is locked in a collateral loan that was the best decision at the time to help pull accounts out of collection on my credit. For one reason or another, I haven't filed an official report(called DEC2009, talked to a rep who said call a HQ which didn't help)with my American General regarding the stolen property.What directions can I take?I want to file claim but affraid AMGEN will say too late, pay in full which I do not have.
Expert:  NewYorkLaw101 replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using Just Answer
Sorry to hear about your situation
You may face a problem with late notice with AMGEN - the only way to know for sure is to report the claim - in addition, if in fact your title is locked in a collateral loan, that insurer has a right to know that the motorcycle was stolen as the title in and of itself has no value since you no longer have the motorcycle even though yo y continue to pay on the loan- You should consult a local attorney as you may have an uphill battle with the insurance carrier in trying to explain the late notice.
have a great evening
please press ACCEPT
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Will the motorcycle be stuck in the collateral loan regardless if I pay the portion of the loan equal to what they valued the property on contract?

Depending on the terms of the collateral loan it may be stuck in the collateral loan - but the problem is since the motorcycle is no longer in your possession you may have other issues