MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced attorney in contract law, litigation and employment law
16277701

I got a letter from a law office of LITOW & PECH, capitalone

Customer Question

I got a letter from a law office of LITOW & PECH, capitalone is requesting payment, so they agreeded to a monthy paymeny of $50.00 a month, but the law firm wants me to sign and notarized Judgment by confession, is this legal even if I agree to the payment agreement of $50 a month
Expert:  MDLaw replied 6 years ago.
Are you asking if it is legal for them to ask you to sign in? Have you signed it? What does the document state?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't signed anything yet, but before the agreement is binding I have to get it notarized and sent back, they said they won't file it if the payments are made on time, but they will file it if I default
Expert:  MDLaw replied 6 years ago.
But what is your question? Are you asking if it is legal for them to ask you to sign it? Also, what does the document state?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I have to sign the document ? and is this a way to take me to court if I make the payment and sign
Expert:  MDLaw replied 6 years ago.
Of course, you don't have to sign the document. You don't ever have to sign anything you don't want to. I've asked you twice what the document states. You still have not given me an answer. Therefore, I can't advise you as to what the intention of the document is if I don't know what the document states, obviously.

I can only guess that they are trying to get you to sign a document admitting that you owe the debt - and probably lawyer's fees and additional fees as well - so they they don't have to take you to court.

If the document does not match what you agreed to verbally and if you don't understand what the document says (since I am assuming that is why you can't answer my question about it), then I would advise you not to sign it. It's always a bad idea to sign anything that you don't understand.

Please let me know if this answers your question. If it does not, feel free to ask me for clarification. If it does answer your question, please remember to hit the ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for taking the time to research and respond to your questions.